Northern VA Brake Repair and Service
Most brakes last about 30,000 miles. This, of course, depends on your driving habits and the road conditions in Virginia. If you experience any of these symptoms, get your brakes checked:
- Grinding – a “metal-to-metal” sensation. This is usually a clue that your pads are worn out
- Pulling when you apply the brake
A typical brake job usually takes about 2 hours and can cost around $400-500 if done properly. This is for most cars. European and other high-end cars will cost more. A Brake service at Craftsman Auto Care includes:
- Replacing Pads and Rotors
- Lubricate the slide pins and calipers
- Check the condition of the brake fluid and do a flush if needed
Brake Fluid Flush Service
Flushing and replacing automobile brake fluid is a vital part of keeping you safe on the road. It's very easy for our auto repair technicians at Craftsman Auto Care to check the quality of your vehicle’s brake fluid as part of your routine maintenance. Most vehicle manufacturers recommend replacing brake fluid every 20,000 - 45,000 miles, but you may need it done more frequently in high humidity areas and areas that get winter weather due to salt and other contaminants getting into the system. It's a relatively inexpensive, but critical, part of your vehicle's maintenance.
- Brake fluid lives in a reservoir which usually sits on top of the master cylinder under the hood of your car.
- When new it's often light brown or clear but darkens with age, becoming murky from water contamination. It operates in a sealed system and can last for years, but moisture can still work its way in through hoses and other areas. When this happens, your brakes become "squishy," and their stopping ability is compromised.
- Moisture can also lead to corrosion throughout the system which could require expensive repair work.
Vehicle Brake Pad Replacement
Pads and shoes are the part of the automobile brake system that squeeze against the rotors to slow your vehicle. They are designed to wear out, and a lot of factors determine when they need to be replaced, including driving habits, environment, and brake pad hardness. As a rule of thumb, your brake pads will need to be replaced every 50,000 miles or so, but this number can vary greatly based on many factors. It's a good idea to have the team at Craftsman Auto Care check your vehicle’s brake pad thickness every time you have your oil changed or tires rotated. Most newer pads have small metal hairs that create a squealing or scraping noise to indicate it's time to replace them.
Vehicle Brake Rotor Replacement
The rotors are metal discs which are subject to a lot of heat because of the friction between them and the brake pads. They can warp as a result and will need to be replaced around 30,000 miles. If you notice your braking becoming jittery, then the rotors are probably warped and need replacement. The auto repair experts at Craftsman Auto Care can replace brake rotors for most makes and models, getting you back on the road in no time at all.